Supply Chain Manager
Over the past two decades, shortages of generic, injectable medications critical to the lifesaving work of hospitals in the United States have become commonplace. Approximately 200 medically necessary drugs are on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s shortage list. Manufacturing challenges and predatory pricing are both the cause and result.
Who suffers most? Patients.
Civica is a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization established in 2018 by health systems and philanthropies to reduce chronic generic drug shortages and related high prices in the United States. Led by an experienced team of health care and pharmaceutical industry leaders.
Today, more than 50 health systems have joined Civica. They represent over 1,200 hospitals and over 30 percent of all U.S. hospital beds. Civica has also begun to supply the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs, the U.S. Department of Defense, and the U.S. Strategic National Stockpile of essential medicines.
Civica is improving patient outcomes and reducing healthcare costs by making strides to ensure patients and their needs come first and that essential generic medications are accessible and affordable. Since established, the #1 Policy for the Civica team has been “Do What Is in the Best Interest of Patients.”
Civica is launching a subsidiary to enter the Outpatient pharmacy market partnering with Blue Cross Blue Shield with the goal of reducing drug prices, especially high-cost generic drugs where market forces are not working to control drug costs.
To find out more about how Civica’s innovative model is directly impacting patient care, click here to read a recent article from the New England Journal of Medicine.
Intro to Civica
The Supply Chain Manager is responsible for implementing and managing site Supply Chain functions, including Supply Planning, Warehouse Operations, Inventory Control, and Logistics for the Civica, Petersburg manufacturing facility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Oversees site integrated supply chain duties associated with, but not limited to, supply planning, production planning, and material requirements planning.
- Manages warehouse and logistics Operations (including general shipping, receiving, and freight management) to ensure compliance with cGMP requirements, standard operating procedures, guidelines, and policies.
- Ensures operations are carried out in full compliance of DEA regulations for the processing of controlled substances and other applicable FDA regulations.
- Develops and maintains written procedures as it pertains to warehouse operations, logistics, production planning, and inventory control.
- Interacts with various cross-functional teams to provide support and ensure timely completion of tasks in alignment with company mission.
- Assures compliance with federal, state, and local regulations as well all site safety requirements.
- Supports the development, implementation, and management of company ERP system, especially as it pertains to production planning, material planning, warehousing, logistics, and inventory control.
- Creates a culture of continuous improvement.
- Hires, recruits, coaches, and trains employees within the Supply Chain group (warehouse, logistics, supply planning, and inventory control).
- Continuously assesses and ensures the appropriate Supply Chain structure is in place to support growth. Identifies gaps and ensures the proper hiring and development of employees.
- Completes thorough root cause investigations and corrective actions for any deviations in a timely manner.
- Ensures staff training is documented and in compliance with current requirements.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities):
- Bachelor’s degree in related area and 5-7 years in Supply Chain Management and/or Warehouse Management, with increasing responsibility in a cGMP environment. Parenteral pharmaceutical experience preferred.
- Experience interacting with State and Federal regulatory officials.
- Advanced computer applications skills (Excel, Word, Visio, ERPs, and PP).
- Experience in the implementation or use an ERP/ MRP is preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills with the ability to speak and communicate effectively with both senior management and front-line staff personnel.
- Project Management, Operational Excellence, and/or Lean/Six Sigma experience preferred.