Over the past two decades, shortages of generic, injectable medications critical to the lifesaving work of hospitals in the United States have become commonplace. Approximately 200 medically necessary drugs are on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration’s shortage list. Manufacturing challenges and predatory pricing are both the cause and result.
Who suffers most? Patients.
Civica is a 501(c)(4) social welfare organization established in 2018 by health systems and philanthropies to reduce chronic generic drug shortages and related high prices in the United States. Led by an experienced team of health care and pharmaceutical industry leaders.
Today, more than 50 health systems have joined Civica. They represent over 1,200 hospitals and over 30 percent of all U.S. hospital beds. Civica has also begun to supply the U.S. Department of Veteran’s Affairs, the U.S. Department of Defense, and the U.S. Strategic National Stockpile of essential medicines.
Civica is improving patient outcomes and reducing healthcare costs by making strides to ensure patients and their needs come first and that essential generic medications are accessible and affordable. Since established, the #1 Policy for the Civica team has been “Do What Is in the Best Interest of Patients.”
Civica is launching a subsidiary to enter the Outpatient pharmacy market partnering with Blue Cross Blue Shield with the goal of reducing drug prices, especially high-cost generic drugs where market forces are not working to control drug costs.
To find out more about how Civica’s innovative model is directly impacting patient care, click here to read a recent article from the New England Journal of Medicine.
Intro to Civica
The Senior Accountant is responsible for processing company receivables and payables in accordance with company policy and procedures. Process supplier payments and travel expense reporting within the ERP system and bank. Prepare various journal entries and monthly general ledger reconciliations. Assist in preparing the accounting close and other key financial & operational reports. Provide support and assistance to company personnel. Help optimize Civica’s business needs through developing standard processes and best practices.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Partner with payment processors for recording of receivables, cash payments, and deposits
- Manage an aging of accounts receivable, including following up with customers/members
- Facilitate purchase order process & internal routing/approvals
- Process vendor invoices, including account & department coding
- Prepare and process various payment runs
- Assist with Balance Sheet reconciliations and cash forecasting
- Assist with month-end closing, including A/P aging reports, subledger reports, & GL reconciliations
- Maintain 1099 files
- Coordinate disposition of pricing and quantity discrepancies with Procurement & Supply Chain
- Handle vendor inquiries & maintain vendor accounts
- Assist in updating policies and procedures & standard work instructions
- Work to identify opportunities for process improvements
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately, in accordance with company policy
- Maintain posting controls for the AP module
- Maintain Fixed Assets registers and reports
- Assisting with the Company’s annual year-end audit with the independent auditors
- Other projects and duties as assigned
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS (KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES)
- One to three years progressive experience in all phases of Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable in an inventory or manufacturing environment. Exposure to other accounting areas is a plus
- BA/BS in accounting degree required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in MS Office, especially Excel
- Experience with ERP software is required
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Must be efficient with strong attention to detail
- Must have strong customer support orientation (for internal/external customers), demonstrated professional demeanor, and the ability to maintain confidential information
- Must have strong skills in organization and planning, demonstrated ability to work independently as well as a member of a flexible team, and exercise sound judgment and problem solving